Jason Markk Essential Kit is a sneaker and shoe care product by US-based brand Jason Markk established in 2007 by Jason Markk Angsuvarn. They produce a number of products from sneaker protection, and cleaning kits and also provide cleaning services at their Los Angeles flagship store. They pride themselves on quality products and experiences. Their product offering also includes branded merchandise and gift sets.
Its mission statement is to “care for the things you care most about” and its vision is “to foster a culture of care in wearables, self, community, and planet.”
More of their products can be found on their website. This review only covers their Jason Markk Essential Cleaner Kit.
Related Article: Best Sneaker Cleaning Kits… Which One Cleans Best?
Essential Cleaner Kit
How is the packaging?
The packaging is simple, see-through to see what you are purchasing, and has directions of use printed on the back. The purple/white plastic packaging is finished in “Essential” Jason Markk branding showing the Premium Deep Cleaning Solution and the Standard Bristle Brush.
When you first receive your new Jason Markk Essential Kit it comes in simple see-through plastic packaging that can be unsealed from the top.
The Jason Markk Premium Deep Cleaning Solution bottle has cleaning guide information, suede and nubuck cleaning note, ingredients, and a warning caution that states;
“If swallowed, contact a physician. If eye contact occurs, flush with water for 15 minutes and contact a physician. If skin irritations occurs, rinse with water and contact a physician. Keep out of reach for children.”
- Jason Markk Premium Deep Cleaning Solution
- Standard Bristle Brush
- Directions of use
Premium Deep Cleaning Solution
How to use it?
For suede or nubuck use the Premium Suede Cleaning Kit. Use minimal water and brush gently and test for colour fastness.
The Jason Markk Essential Kit requires 6 simple steps:
- Pour lukewarm water into a bowl and dip the brush.
- Apply 4-5 drops of cleaning solution to the brush.
- Dry brush shoes to remove dust.
- Shake to ensure it is not oversaturated. Scrub the shoe gently in a circular motion.
- Use a microfibre cloth provided to wipe away excess cleaning solution and water.
- Repeat the process until your sneakers are fresh and air dry shoes for 24 hours.
How long does it last?
The Premium Deep Cleaning Solution comes in a 118ml purple plastic bottle with Jason Markk requesting once the bottle is used to recycle. The expiry date or shelf life of the sneaker cleaning solution is not clearly stated.
Jason Markk claims that their cleaning solution can clean up to 100 pairs of shoes. This depends on the amount of cleaner you use for each clean but you don’t need a lot.
When the Jason Markk shoe cleaner was tested found that 4-5 drops of cleaning solution were enough to clean a shoe. While cleaning make sure you dip the brush back into the cleaning solution and water mix it, don’t use a dirty pal.
Does the Jason Markk cleaning solution work?
Yes, depending on the type of material you are cleaning and the type of stain the solution will perform differently. While testing the Jason Markk Essential Kit found it works best on leather sneakers. Fabric shoes need a bit more work and more likely the premium bristle brush.
The Jason Markk Essential Cleaning Solution smells like fresh detergent, you know that smell you get with clean washed clothes? Smells amazing right your shoes will just as nice. Say bye to horrible shoe smells.
Jason Markk Essential Cleaning Solution Ingredients:
Made from natural soaps derived from coconut extracts, other oils, and a light fragrance.
Standard Bristle Brush
Standard Bristle Brush Measurements:
|3.7 inches (94 mm)
|1.3 inches (32 mm)
|1.7 inches (42 mm)
If you have medium to large hands the brush does feel slightly small to firmly grip with one hand. The bristles are stiff but on the leather upper and midsole of the sneakers, they managed to remove dirt and stains.
Is the sneaker cleaning brush good?
Yes, the Jason Markk Standard Bristle Brush helps to lift dirt and stains and it is constructed of handcrafted wood. The cleaning solution works well with the brush on leather sneakers very well. Be mindful that the amount of dirt or type of stain on your shoes will require you to repeat the process.
Are the Jason Markk Sneaker Quick Wipes good?
Yes, the textured raised dots and soft side are able to clean rubber shoes very well by removing all of the dirt. Wipes are sold separately as part of a 3-pack or 30-pack option. The wipes are durable and even after harsh cleaning of the midsole the wipes are unlikely to rip.
How to use them?
- Tear open the package.
- Gently wipe shoes with the Quick Wipe smooth surface.
- If dirt remains, use the rough textured side.
- Repeat until your sneakers are clean.
Note: Wipes are not recommended for suede and nubuck.
- Pocket-sized shoe wipes are ideal for travel.
- Fit into pockets, bags, and purses.
- One wipe can clean at least 2 pairs of shoes without having to use a new pack.
- Can be used on different materials.
Is the microfibre cloth good?
Yes, the Jason Markk Microfibre Towel is high quality in terms of how it feels, thick, and has a large surface area. Jason Markk claims their microfibre towel can absorb “up to 7 times its weight in water making it highly absorbent and quick-drying.”
Not included as part of the Essential Cleaning Kit. Available if you purchase the Travel Shoe Cleaning Kit and Ready-To-Use Bundle.
Note: When spraying make sure the room is well ventilated and do not inhale the spray, it has a harsh smell.
The Jason Markk spray works and does a very good job of protecting footwear, hats, bags, and other items you want to care for.
- Water-based formular that is odorless and colorless. Safe to use indoors.
- Works great on absorbent materials.
How to use them?
- Make sure sneakers are clean and dry. Shake spray before use.
- Spray evenly around the shoe from 20cm away.
- Leave to dry.
- Spray again evenly to create a protective barrier.
- Leave to dry.
It’s clear that Jason Markk focuses on quality over quantity. You don’t get everything you need to start your sneaker cleaning journey with the Essential Cleaning Kit.
The Travel Shoe Cleaning Kit is the best value for money. It includes a premium deep cleaning solution, travel case, microfibre towel, premium cleaning brush, and 3 Quick Wipes. There isn’t a big difference in price either, no brainer really.
- Premium Deep Cleaning Solution – 118ml is more than enough to clean plenty of shoes or bags. The standard brush feels well made and works on loads of different materials.
- Jason Markk Wipes – Bit of a shame that the Quick Wipes are not included as part of the Shoe Essential Cleaning Kit. A pack of 3 sold separately seems a bit stingy. A pack of 30 also sold separately seems like a bit much. Would be good if they offered an option in the middle.
- Standard Bristle Brush – My hands are not the biggest but the brush did feel small when testing. But the bristles more than made up for it you can feel the dirt and stains being destroyed by the stiff bristles.
If you found the Jason Markk Essential Cleaner Kit Review article helpful check out the latest trainer reviews and video content by following @saucedby on Instagram Pinterest or liking our Facebook Page.
Check out our cleaning-related articles…
- Reshoevn8r Shoe Cleaning Kit: Does It Actually Work?
- Squeaky Clean Premium Shoe Cleaning Kit Review
- Crep Protect Cure Cleaning Kit: How Good Is It?
I’ve been reviewing, buying, selling, and rocking sneakers since high school. Learned a lot since my first pair when I was 7 years old were And 1s (if you know you know). A lot has changed since the brand started in 2017 from reselling sneakers to now reviewing and writing informational content. The aim is to be authentic and honest with my opinions. Saucedby Lee out 🙂